24 HOUR HOTLINE
THERE´S NO EXCUSE FOR
Safety In The Home
- Change the locks on doors and windows as soon as possible.
- Replace wooden doors with steel/metal doors.
- Install security systems, additional locks, window bars, poles to wedge against doors, an electronic system, etc.
- Purchase rope ladders to be used for escape from second floor windows.
- Install smoke detectors and purchase fire extinguishers for each floor in the house/apartment.
- Install an outside lighting system that lights up when a person is coming close to the house.
- Teach the children how to use the telephone to make a collect call to a friend, minister or relative in the event the abuser takes the children.
- Tell people who take care of the children which people have permission to pick up the children and that the abuser is not permitted to do so.
Safety On The Job
- Discuss who at work you will inform of your situation - supervisor, trusted co-worker.
- Inform the security supervisor at work of your situation. Provide a picture of the abuser, if possible.
- Ask for help screening telephone calls at work.
Safety With An Order Of Protection
- Keep the protection order on or near you at all times.
- Give the protection order to police departments in the communities where you visit family or friends.
- Some counties have a county registry of protection orders that all police departments can call to confirm a protection order. Check to make sure that your order is in the registry.
- Inform your employer, minister, closest friend and relatives that you have a protection order in effect. If the abuser destroys your protection order, you can get another copy from the County Circuit clerk or magistrate's office.
- If the abuser violates the protection order, call the police and report a violation, contact an attorney, call a domestic violence advocate, and/or advise the court of the violation.
Donate to Women's Aid in Crisis today
Note: Due to ineligibility or funding issues, not all services are available in every case
ALL SERVICES ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND ARE PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE